Home Forums Nova Scotia Where do we go from here?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Duncan Dixon 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Ben Smith

What do you want to see happen on the disc golf scene in the Maritimes now and beyond? What should we look like in a year? How about 10 years? What have you seen work well in other places? What should we avoid? I have my own thoughts but we’d love to hear yours too! So, let’s chat

Ben Smith

Personally I think 3 major things will grow the game, more courses, more schools, and more events. The trick is always the fact that to build more courses you need more players, and to encourage more players you need more courses. Hopefully this is where the schools and the events come in. Having kids experience this game in schools offers some legitimacy that I sometimes feel (the public thinks) we lack. Running amazing (sanctioned and non-sanctioned) events gives people a taste of what the competitive side can look like. However I am still aware that the vast majority or people who will play disc golf will never compete (up to 90% by some estimates) and simply want a game they can enjoy close by at their own leisure. Therefore, good quality, fun-to-play courses are the central feature of a healthy disc golf community and that is why I see this as the corner stone of where we need to go. My goal is 50 Maritime Courses by 2025. Who’s with me?

Duncan Dixon
    Participant

I think we need to bring a top touring Pro like Lizzott or Felburge to the east and have them do some clinics and set new records.
    I would like to see the MDGA acquire and own 18 portable recruit baskets that can be set up for clinics, schools, temp courses etc

Jonathan Perry
    Participant

I think it has to be a grass-roots development. The thought of more courses, more schools and more events is nice as a target down the road, but my opinion for right now would be to develop the existing courses from a physical development AND membership development standpoint. Focus on the local schools (high schools and Universities) that would be serviced by the existing courses until your existing local events are consistently at capacity before you start thinking about having more events and building more courses. Use that membership to grow the game.

Right now you have a membership that is only getting 10 or 15 people out to the existing events and those folks are the same folks at every event for the most part. Adding another event simply forces those same people to make a choice between events and thus reduces the turnout at each event overall. You don’t want to get too big too fast because a new developed course is going to require membership to keep the course in shape and looking nice.

As an example, I think it would be better to have a full 18 holes (18 baskets) that has developed teepads, professional signage, stumpless fairways and a members night that consistently gets 25+ people in Hammond’s Plains before spreading the existing volunteer workforce and potential membership over 2 courses, or 3 courses in the city. Instead of having two good courses, I’d rather have 1 great course and then use the quality of the course to grow the game. If you have a really nice course and a significant membership it’s a much easier pitch to get funding for an additional public course. Hopefully by that time your membership is big enough that it can support 2 courses.

Take what you currently have and improve it so that it creates a larger core membership before you look to expand. Currently, someone who just wants to give it a try and heard there is a course in Hammonds Plains would have a really difficult time finding and navigating the course if someone didn’t show them. I see that as a significant problem and potentially hurts the positive impression the game would have on a new player.

mm
    Corbett
    Participant

Where do we go from here? LOOK HOW FAR WE HAVE COME! It wasn’t long ago that Ben and Duncan were dreaming big things around Amherst, and Johnny Dave and myself were playing in the dirt in New Minas. I am so proud to have been a part of the growth of this sport in the Maritimes.. I am overjoyed at what we have done so far. I can’t wait to see where we will be in 5 – 10 – 20 years from now!
    When I close my eyes and think of what CAN happen? I see growth, exponentiation development! I would love to see a course in Truro! I would love to see HP and NM both having 18 baskets and 2 tees per hole.
    I agree with Jon that growth beyond our means forces people to choose between events, but I see that as a ‘first world problem’, and frankly one that I am happy to have.

Here’s to a lifetime of hucking plastic with you crazy kids!! May we be crippled and old and arguing over which of our grand-kids will win the next Canadian Nationals!

Jonathan Perry
    Participant

I feel the need to clarify here a little. After reading the post I think it appears a little too critical of the grand plan than I intended. I think we should keep doing what’s been doing. However, it’s really easy to lose focus on taking care of what we have and making that the best it can be in an effort to get something shiny and new. Simply making sure we don’t lose sight of the fact that more courses are great, but membership development and enhancements of the existing courses should be the focus.

Ben Smith

I actually don’t think you were being overly critical at all. IN fact a lot of what your saying is absolutely true. I can see the long term ideas but sometimes forget what may have to happen tomorrow. My thought with building the new courses is not that we will ask our member base to come and give up their hours to build new courses, my hope is that we pull more people out of the wood work that don’t even realize yet how much they are going to love this game. I look at the courses that have been built well (NM,Hillcrest,Sackville and HP) and each of those have grown their own local players and clubs. Even Fredericton which is a very simple course was built in the heart of town where it could succeed and is flourishing. Now take into consideration Strathgartney, Antigonish and Bridgwater had poor course put in and nobody (or very very few people) play them. Still what you are saying is correct. We have an awesome player base right now and if we focusing on making our existing courses more awesome the entire game will be better because of it. On a slightly different note, what do members want to get out of their membership? Plastic? Rubber tee pads? A mobile course? Thoughts?

Duncan Dixon
    Participant

I agree with making the existing courses better, tee pads are lacking and some need clearing ect. this has to happen regardless of the other work.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.